O PLANO’s hopes of finding an organisation to represent have been given a significant boost in the last two weeks, sources with knowledge of the situation have told HLTV.org and ge. The players who are under contracts have been locked in talks with their respective organisations as they hope to formalise the team in time for the open qualifiers for cs_summit 8, the first Regional Major Ranking (RMR) tournament of 2021 in North America.
Lucas “LUCAS1” Teles is the only player in the six-man O PLANO lineup that is currently a free agent. Vito “kNgV-” Giuseppe and Alencar “trk” Rossato are both tied to MIBR, while Henrique “HEN1” Teles is contracted to FURIA, Leonardo “leo_drk” Oliveira to Sharks, and Vinicius “vsm” Moreira to DETONA. These five players have been negotiating directly with their organisations, and it’s unclear at this point if there’s already an investor or an organisation behind the project.
The players are hoping to travel to Mexico in the coming days to take part in the first open qualifier for cs_summit 8, scheduled for May 1-2. With the US government still imposing very tight travel restrictions because of the coronavirus pandemic, Mexico has emerged as an alternative for Brazilian teams wishing to compete in the North American RMR tournaments.
A representative from O PLANO has said to ge that negotiations are underway and that, “unfortunately”, it was impossible to reach agreements before the first RMR tournament in South America, CBCS Elite League Season 1, which kicks off this Thursday. Sharks and FURIA have confirmed that talks with leo_drk and HEN1, respectively, are ongoing.
O PLANO was created in January after the team failed to reach an agreement with MIBR, who had signed leo_drk and vsm on loan, and picked up LUCAS1 on a short-term deal for the final stretch of the 2020 tournament season. The lineup managed to prove its critics wrong with a fourth-place finish in Flashpoint 2 — a welcome sight for MIBR’s fans, who had been waiting to see this type of performance and intensity for months.
As the weeks went by, O PLANO‘s fans began to express doubt and fear, but kNgV- remained unfazed. In an interview with HLTV.org, the 28-year-old said that there was no deadline for the team to find an organisation and insisted that the players “are in this until the end.”
The team, who were ranked inside the top 30 for almost four months, were handed a major boost last week, when Valve announced the easing of some restrictions regarding Major eligibility. Players who have been VAC banned are now allowed to compete at Majors five years after their ban, opening an avenue for vsm, whose VAC ban dates back to 2013, to finally play in Valve-sponsored tournaments.